National Museum of Zhenia

From Themys Project
National Museum of Zhenia
국립대도박물관
National Museum of Zhenia viewed from the southeast. Note that not the entirety of the complex is visible from this picture, including the southwest wing expansion.
Southeastern view of the National Museum of Zhenia.
Former nameImperial Museum of Zhenia
Established9 April 1887 (1887-04-09) (as the Imperial Museum of Zhenia)
4 June 1910 (1910-06-04) (as the National Museum of Zhenia)
4 June 1970 (1970-06-04) (relocation to current site)
LocationHaseo, Daedo, Zhenia
AccreditationZhenia National Museums Administration
CollectionsVarious
Collection size700,000+ (confirmed as of 1610)
Visitors6,239,177 (1610)
FounderGovernment of Zhenia
Executive directorKim Jungtae
DirectorKim Cheolseon
ArchitectBenjamin Liu
Public transit accessNational Museum Station, Daedo Metropolitan Subway
Websitenatlmuseum.zhen.gov

The National Museum of Zhenia (Seomun: 秦和民國國立博物館, Jinmun: 진화민국국립박물관), alternately known as the National Museum of Daedo (Seomun: 大都國立博物館, Jinmun: 대도국립박물관) as it is distinguished in particular from other national museums, is a national museum in Haseo-gu district, Daedo, Zhenia, administered by the Zhenia National Museums Administration. It is also the largest single museum in Zhenia, being home to a confirmed permanent collection of over 700,000 works and visited by over 6.2 million visitors as of 1610. Within Daedo, it has a much smaller second location in Jung-gu district at Daehwa Quarter, a museum primarily dedicated to the history and artifacts of the Daehwa dynasty.

The museum itself has its roots on the imperial collections of both Shindan and mainland Zhenian dynasties. Its collection encompasses almost 7,000 years of the history of Zhenian art and culture, with artifacts ranging from the Neolithic era to Shindan and ultimately the Empire of Zhenia. Most notably, it is home to the single largest collection of Shindanese art in the world, as well as encyclopedic collections of antique weapons, costumes, instruments and other relics throughout Zhenian history.

Initially established as the Imperial Museum of Zhenia in 1479, during the rule of Emperor Saejo of imperial Zhenia to commemorate the achievements of the Empire and its historical heritage, what became the National Museum of Zhenia today was originally located at the site of the Daehwa Quarter. After being converted into a National Museum following the December Revolution, it was relocated to its current site in Haseo-gu district in 1560 during the Third Republic, amid the renewal of the areas surrounding Daehwa Quarter. It has since undergone expansions both in collection quantity and museum capacity, resulting in its current collection size of over 700,000 confirmed items to this day.

History

Initial establishment

Following the unification of Zhenia, the Empire of Zhenia assumed control over all surviving imperial relics and valuables of the mainland Zhu dynasty that remained within Zhenian territory, including all imperial relics remaining within the Zhu's imperial palace in Junggyeong and many of the imperial depots built during the Zhu dynasty. The Zhu's imperial collection, as well as the royal collections of other former states that now constituted imperial Zhenia, were nationalized by ownership, while relics belonging to Shindan's imperial family mostly remained under the control of the imperial house of Li. A vast majority of such 'nationalized' relics and assets were transported to Daedo for exhibition, thus forming the basis of the Imperial Museum of Zhenia.

Relocation to Haseo district

Architecture

Main building

Southeastern branch

Collections

Statistics

Notable items

Overseas exhibitions

See also